The Heart O' Texas Coliseum was constructed after voters of the county had authorized a bond issue of $1,200,000 in the early 1950s. Despite public criticism that might be directed toward the board and individual members, it was the board's unanimous decision to build portions of the entire plant that the available money would permit. The last of five contracts was signed on January 9, 1952, and construction of the Coliseum began soon afterward. The Coliseum, livestock barn, ticket booths and several small buildings were constructed, paving was done and fencing enclosed the grounds. In the spring of 1953, the Coliseum was completed, and on April 11, the formal opening was held.
All facilities and grounds of the Fair Complex underwent renovations and/or reconstruction throughout the years of 2000 to 2005. The Complex now covers 50 acres of land containing modernized facilities, 700 stalls, 250 RV hook-ups and parking areas able to accommodate over 3800 vehicles. Its facilities consist of the Heart Of Texas Coliseum, Back Porch Club, Show Pavilion, General Exhibits Building, Creative Arts Building and the recently constructed Stall Barn.
On August 24, 2010, Fair officials announced that Extraco Banks signed a long-term naming rights deal, officially changing the name of the grounds to the Extraco Events Center. This new naming rights deal follows the June announcement of a master plan for the grounds, which includes expanded hard surface parking lots, equestrian facility extension, a new larger exposition hall to replace the two halls and a hotel site. The coliseum is getting a make-over with a new large back-lit sign of the Extraco Events Center name above the main entrance. Additional lit signage was added to the East and West sides, as well as updated signage throughout the grounds. The iconic hearts on the North and South ends of the coliseum remain.
Mission Statement: Our mission is to produce events for education, entertainment and agricultural experiences at the premier multi-use facility while giving back through youth scholarships and a positive economic impact to Central Texas.